Consider these six trends in home remodeling as you contemplate your own renovation projects in 2013:
1. Making Your Home Healthier
Many of us are trying to live healthier lives and improve our planet so it too is healthier and sustainable. Therefore, it should be no surprise that there is a growing trend to make our homes healthier. We can create healthier homes through a number of ways such as using low volatile organic compounds (voc) paints & coatings, materials free of toxins and harsh chemicals and making sure we have sufficient light and ventilation in our homes.
2. Having an Open Concept Layout
The trend for homes to have an open concept layout with few, if any, walls separating key living spaces has been around for a while yet it doesn’t seem to be declining in popularity. For houses that were built years ago, it often means walls need to be removed to create the desired openness.
3. Creating a Simpler & Cleaner Aesthetic That’s Low Maintenance Look around a good many home design magazines, stores and web sites and you’ll notice a trend for homes and home furnishings to have a simpler aesthetic with clean lines. Also, it’s no surprise that there’s growing desire for our homes to require as little maintenance as possible. After all, who wants to spend our precious time cleaning?
4. Renovating for Greater Energy Efficiency & Utility Savings
Relatively straight forward projects like replacing older doors and windows with ones that are more energy efficient or adding insulation in our attics, walls and floor cavities can have a significant impact on your home utility expenses. So, it’s no wonder why the trend continues for remodeling that will result in greater energy efficiency and lower your cooling and heating expenses.
5. Improving Your Home’s Security We’ll continue to see an increase in home remodeling projects that involve improving the security of your home. We’ll continue to see more upgrading of doors, windows & locksets with improved security features and more ‘smart home’ security system installations.